Sawn Graded Timber
Softwood Building Timber - Rough Sawn or Regularised - Graded Carcassing Timber:
This timber is high quality Home-grown or European whitewood, some now being regularised Easi-edge - (semi-planed with eased corners), kiln-dried and graded to SSC16 or SSC24 certification, so suitable as joists, rafters and building timber, and is generally Grade-Stamped for inspection by your Building Inspector.
Normal lengths are 3.0, 3.6, 4.2 & 4.8 metres, and 5.4 & 6.0 metres in some of the larger purlin sizes; We can also source larger sizes (which may not be kiln-dried), and longer lengths to order.
Carcassing Timber is a natural product - variations in knots, colour, and grain should be expected - They are allowable. A certain amount of checking and splitting occurs, and is allowable in the Grading Specification; These timbers can be Grade-Stamped for strength, where required.
Smaller timber sizes are generally kiln-dried, larger timber sizes can be unseasoned or air-dried;
Most 50mm and 75mm thicknesses of Graded Carcassing Timber are kiln-dried; 100mm and thicker sizes take a long time to kiln dry, and generally are offered unseasoned, and air dry "in the stick".
Unseasoned timber can have a moisture content approaching the maximum saturation level of 27%, when air-dried "in-stick" this can fall to 20-23%, and if kiln-dried the moisture level is brought down to 18-20%. Generally in a heated building, the moisture level can be 8-10%, and it is here, where the moisture level of timber is rapidly changed, that twisting, warping and splitting can and does occur.
We keep tilt-fillet in stock and can cut firring pieces and other timber sections to size for flat-roof, and pitched-roof work.
Sizes may be the usual timber nominal size that the Carcassing Timber Softwood is cut from, with a finished size that is generally obtained; Up to 100mm Carcassing Timber sizes can vary ±10mm on thickness / ±20mm on width, ±50mm cross-cutting tolerance and there may be splitter saw cut-edges; This is the size immediately after machining the timber, and does not take into account any movement later, caused by moisture movement into, or out of the Construction Timber. ( Be aware: For many reasons, size, profile and other aspects of Building Timber may vary from batch to batch, so it is best to purchase all you need for a job in one go, rather than buying more at a later date. )
If any Graded Timber is cut or machined, then this may affect the Timber-Joist Grading, and also may cut off the Timber Grade-stamp;
Building Timber needs suitable external treatment, finishing and maintenance for exterior use; External use is at your own risk.
- JAS Timber cannot be held responsible for any variations in machined Building Timber sizes, pattern, construction, grading, moisture-content, treatment, certification, knots, colour or grain.
- If it is important, then you need to check these or any other details before purchasing, & notify us in writing on your order.
We can supply FSC® or PEFC® Certification for Sawn Timber with our Chain of Custody Certificates, (CoC) - JAS Timber CoC Certification - FSC Carcassing Timber TT-CoC-003944.150 or PEFC Carcassing Timber BMT-PEFC-1119.150 - poa;
- Check your Building Timber delivery on arrival, to see that all it's component dimensions, any mouldings, any glazing, and that ALL other details are correct, prior to any related work on site;
- JAS Timber cannot be held liable for the consequences of any variation;
- We cannot exchange any Construction Timber once work has commenced; Sawn Timber Orders at variance with our Stock-holding and All Direct Deliveries are supplied as a Special Order.
Poa - Extra Cutting or Machining on Sawn Timber - Machining in Yard - Machining In Workshop - Workshop Time
Don't forget our Roto Oak Roof Windows if you are undertaking a barn conversion project, or if you simply want the best roof window - a unique product from JAS Timber, Blackburn, Lancashire.
- The PEFC logo® & PEFC® initials are registered Trademarks of the PEFC Council®;
- The FSC logo® & FSC® initials are registered Trademarks of the Forest Stewardship Council®.
Payment - We can take Debit Card, BACS, Cash, Cheque or Credit Card payment online for Building Timber.
Van Delivery of Carcassing Timber on our van, in Blackburn, Lancashire and the North-West, from £5 +vat, or £1 +vat per mile - poa; ( from: £30 Manchester, £35 Lancaster, £45 Liverpool, £60 Leeds, all +vat. )
Chargeable weights for Sawn Timber Joists are shown in Kg, to include some packaging, our careful packing and the XDP® standard Zone A Carriage Charge; Building Timber with purchase button can be bought online - Just add to basket, which calculates shipping by this chargeable-weight; Any products with no purchase basket may have a more complex delivery structure depending on size, weight and postcode; Please contact us - 01254 54000
XDP® Carrier Delivery of Building Timber is possible from £11.40 +vat - up to 10Kg and 2.4 metres, then +50p per extra Kg; For 2.4 to 3.0 metres - poa ( from £15 +vat extra ); Anything longer is not suitable unless in pallet quantities Zone A Mainland - poa other zones;
Haulier Delivery of Sawn Timber by pallet can be arranged for larger quantities.
Direct Delivery of Timber Joists may be possible from some of our suppliers.
( Please tell us the post-code for your enquiry about Building Timber Products, so that we can quote for delivery. )
- The July 2018 Quarterly Scandinavian and European Softwood Price-Lists will apply unless there is a new currency based over-rider - 01/08/2018
- Please phone us at JAS Timber for any details about Building Timber and Wood Joists - 01254 54000
E. & O.E. see T&C - We do try to keep prices and specifications of Softwood Sections correct, but mistakes can be made! Please let us us know if you do spot any errors - thanks.