Sawn Graded Timber
Softwood Building Timber - Rough Sawn or Regularised - Graded Carcassing Timber:
This timber is high quality Home-grown or European whitewood, some now being regularised Easi-edge - (semi-planed with eased corners), kiln-dried and graded to SSC16 or SSC24 certification, so suitable as joists, rafters and building timber, and is generally Grade-Stamped for inspection by your Building Inspector.
Normal lengths are 3.0, 3.6, 4.2 & 4.8 metres, and 5.4 & 6.0 metres in some of the larger purlin sizes; We can also source larger sizes (which may not be kiln-dried), and longer lengths to order.
Carcassing Timber is a natural product - variations in knots, colour, and grain should be expected - They are allowable. A certain amount of checking and splitting occurs, and is allowable in the Grading Specification; These timbers can be Grade-Stamped for strength, where required.
Smaller timber sizes are generally kiln-dried, larger timber sizes can be unseasoned or air-dried;
Most 50mm & 75mm thicknesses of Graded Carcassing Timber are kiln-dried; 100mm and thicker sizes take a long time to kiln dry, and generally are offered unseasoned, and air dry "in the stick".
Unseasoned timber can have a moisture content approaching the maximum saturation level of 27%, when air-dried "in-stick" this can fall to 20-23%, and if kiln-dried the moisture level is brought down to 18-20%. Generally in a heated building, the moisture level can be 8-10%, and it is here, where the moisture level of timber is rapidly changed, that twisting, warping and splitting can occur.
We keep tilt-fillet in stock and can cut firring pieces and other timber sections to size for flat-roof and pitched-roof work.
Sizes may be the usual timber nominal size that the Carcassing Timber Softwood is cut from, with a finished size that is generally obtained; Carcassing Timber sizes are generally ±3mm on thickness / ±6mm on width, ±20mm cross-cutting tolerance & there may be one splitter saw cut-edge; This is the size immediately after machining the timber, and does not take into account any movement later, caused by moisture movement into, or out of the Construction Timber. ( Be aware: For many reasons, size, profile and other aspects of timber may vary from batch to batch, so it is best to purchase all you need for a job in one go, rather than buying more at a later date. )
- We cannot be held responsible for any variations in machined Building Timber sizes, pattern, construction, grading, moisture-content, treatment, certification, knots, colour or grain.
- If it is important, then you need to check these or any other details before purchasing, & notify us in writing on your order.
We can supply FSC® or PEFC® Certification for Sawn Timber with our Chain of Custody Certificates, (CoC) - JAS Timber CoC - FSC Certified Carcassing Timber TT-CoC-003944.150 or PEFC Certified Carcassing Timber BMT-PEFC-1119.150 - poa;
- Check your Building Timber delivery on arrival, to see that all it's component dimensions, any mouldings, any glazing, and that all other details are correct, prior to any related work on site;
- JAS Timber cannot be held liable for the consequences of any variation;
- We cannot exchange any Construction Timber once work has commenced; Sawn Timber Orders at variance with our Stock-holding and All Direct Deliveries are supplied as a Special Order.
Poa - Extra Cutting or Machining on Sawn Timber - Machining in Yard - Machining In Workshop - Workshop Time -
Don't forget our Roto Oak Roof Windows if you are undertaking a barn conversion project, or if you simply want the best roof window - a unique product from JAS Timber, Blackburn, Lancashire.
- The PEFC logo® & PEFC® initials are registered Trademarks of the PEFC Council®;
- The FSC logo® & FSC® initials are registered Trademarks of the Forest Stewardship Council®.
Payment - We can take Debit Card, BACS, Cash, Cheque or Credit Card payment online for Building Timber.
Van Delivery of Carcassing Timber on our van, in Blackburn, Lancashire and the North-West, from £5 +vat, or £1 +vat per mile - poa; ( from: £30 Manchester, £35 Lancaster, £45 Liverpool, £60 Leeds, all +vat; )
Approximate weights for Sawn Timber sections are shown in Kg per metre;
Sawn Wood planking with purchase basket can be bought online - Just add to basket, which calculates carriage by weight;
Other products with no purchase basket may have a more complex delivery structure depending on weight, length & where you are - please contact us.
Carrier Delivery of Timber Joists is possible from £9.60 +vat - up to 10Kg/2.4M., then 50p per Kg; 2.4 to 3.0 M.+ £15+vat! Anything longer is not suitable unless in pallet quantities - Zone A Mainland - poa other zones;
Haulier Delivery of Sawn Timber by pallet can be arranged for larger quantities.
Direct Delivery of Timber Joists may be possible from some of our suppliers.
( Please tell us the post-code for your enquiry about Timber, so that we can quote for delivery. )
- The April 2018 Quarterly Scandinavian Softwood Price-Lists will apply unless there is a new currency based over-rider - 01/06/2018
- Please phone us at JAS Timber for any details about Building Timber and Wood Joists - 01254 54000
E. & O.E. see T&C - We do try to keep prices and specifications of Softwood Sections correct, but mistakes can be made! Please let us us know if you do spot any errors - thanks.