Sawn Graded Timber
Softwood Building Timber - Rough Sawn or Regularised - Graded Carcassing Timber:
This timber is high quality Home-grown or European whitewood, some now being regularised Easi-edge - (semi-planed with eased corners), kiln-dried and graded to SSC16 or SSC24 certification, so suitable as joists, rafters and building timber, and is generally Grade-Stamped for inspection by your Building Inspector.
Normal lengths are 3.0, 3.6, 4.2 & 4.8 metres, and 5.4 & 6.0 metres in some of the larger purlin sizes; We can also source larger sizes (which may not be kiln-dried), and longer lengths to order.
Carcassing Timber is a natural product - variations in knots, colour, and grain should be expected - They are allowable. A certain amount of checking and splitting occurs, and is allowable in the Grading Specification; These timbers can be Grade-Stamped for strength, where required.
Smaller timber sizes are generally kiln-dried, larger timber sizes can be unseasoned or air-dried;
Most 50mm & 75mm thicknesses of Graded Carcassing Timber are kiln-dried; 100mm and thicker sizes take a long time to kiln dry, and generally are offered unseasoned, and air dry "in the stick".
Unseasoned timber can have a moisture content approaching the maximum saturation level of 27%, when air-dried "in-stick" this can fall to 20-23%, and if kiln-dried the moisture level is brought down to 18-20%. Generally in a heated building, the moisture level can be 8-10%, and it is here, where the moisture level of timber is rapidly changed, that twisting, warping and splitting can occur.
We keep tilt-fillet in stock and can cut firring pieces and other timber sections to size for flat-roof and pitched-roof work.
Sizes may be the usual timber nominal size that the Carcassing Timber Softwood is cut from, with a finished size that is generally obtained; Carcassing Timber sizes are generally ±3mm on thickness / ±6mm on width, ±20mm cross-cutting tolerance & there may be one splitter saw cut-edge; This is the size immediately after machining the timber, and does not take into account any movement later, caused by moisture movement into, or out of the Construction Timber. ( Be aware: For many reasons, size, profile and other aspects of timber may vary from batch to batch, so it is best to purchase all you need for a job in one go, rather than buying more at a later date. )
- We cannot be held responsible for any variations in machined Building Timber sizes, pattern, construction, grading, moisture content, treatment, certification, knots, colour or grain.
- If it is important, then you need to check these or any other details before commencing work & notify us in writing on your order.
We can supply FSC® or PEFC® Certification for Sawn Timber with our Chain of Custody Certificates, (CoC) - JAS Timber CoC - FSC Certified Carcassing Timber TT-CoC-003944.150 or PEFC Certified Carcassing Timber BMT-PEFC-1119.150 - poa;
- Check your delivery of Building Timber, and that all it's component Dimensions, any Mouldings, any Glazing and all other details are correct, prior to any work on site;
- JAS Timber cannot be held liable for the consequences of any variation;
- We cannot exchange any Carcassing Timber once work has commenced; Construction Timber orders at variance with our normal stockholding, and all Direct Deliveries are supplied as a Special Order.
Don't forget our Roto Oak Roof Windows if you are undertaking a barn conversion project, or if you simply want the best roof window - a unique product from JAS Timber, Blackburn, Lancashire.
- The PEFC logo® & PEFC® initials are registered Trademarks of the PEFC Council®;
- The FSC logo® & FSC® initials are registered Trademarks of the Forest Stewardship Council®.
Payment - We can take Debit Card, BACS, Cash, Cheque or Credit Card payment online for Building Timber.
Van Delivery of Carcassing Timber on our van, in Blackburn, Lancashire & the North-West, from £5 +vat, or £1 +vat per mile - poa; ( from: £30 Manchester, £35 Lancaster, £45 Liverpool, £60 Leeds, all +vat; )
Approximate weights for Sawn Timber sections are shown in Kg per metre;
Sawn Wood planking with purchase basket can be bought online - Just add to basket, which calculates carriage by weight;
Other products with no purchase basket may have a more complex delivery structure depending on weight, length & where you are - please contact us.
Carrier Delivery Timber Joists is possible from £9.60 +vat - up to 10Kg/2.4M., then 50p per Kg; 2.4 to 3.0 M.+ £15+vat! Anything longer is not suitable unless in pallet quantities - Zone A Mainland - poa other zones;
Haulier Delivery of Sawn Timber by pallet can be arranged for larger quantities.
Direct Delivery of Timber Joists may be possible from some of our suppliers.
( Please tell us the post-code for your enquiry about Timber, so that we can quote for delivery. )
- The January 2018 Quarterly Scandinavian Softwood Price-Lists will apply unless there is a new currency based over-rider - 01/03/2018
- Please phone us at JAS Timber for any details about Building Timber and Wood Joists - 01254 54000
E. & O.E. see T&C - We do try to keep prices and specifications of Softwood Sections correct, but mistakes can be made! Please let us us know if you do spot any errors - thanks.