A Guide to Fermacell Gypsum Fibreboard
Offering a host of benefits and advantages that place it far above traditional plasterboard, Fermacell Gypsum Fibreboard continues to grow in popularity. The dry-lining board can be used for walls, floors and ceilings alike, delivering unmatched performance at an attractive price.
In this edition of the JAS Timber blog, we will be showcasing Fermacell and will also provide a guide to simple, rapid installation.
The gypsum used to craft Fermacell is 100% recycled, making it a sustainable and environmentally-conscious choice. Each sheet incorporates cellulose fibres, imbuing the material with extra strength that makes it perfect for use in demanding, high-frequency locations like hotels, schools, hospitals and sports halls, among many others. The sheets can also withstand high humidity levels of up to 80% RH, allowing them to be used successfully in kitchens and bathrooms with no reduction in performance.
Fermacell gypsum dry-lining boards are renowned for their ability to support heavy loads. When used with a single screw fixing they can hold weights up to 30kg while in conjunction with wall plugs they can carry a massive 50kg.
Another key quality of Fermacell gypsum fibreboard is acoustic reduction: stud walls installed with the product have been shown to far outperform standard plasterboard in this regard. This makes Fermacell especially useful in applications where soundproofing regulations need to be adhered to.
- The surface to be treated should be clean, dry and free from any physical defects
- Mark the surface to show the thickness of each board and where the centres will be placed
- Cut the board carefully to the exact dimensions required
- Apply plasterboard adhesive in a continuous band all around the edges of the surface that the board will be fixed to. We recommend using Everbuild PinkGrip solvent-free panel adhesive, which can be purchased separately from our website
- Place the board firmly against the applied adhesive. Make sure that it aligns with the marks made earlier
- Press the board tightly. Wedge or hold it in place while the adhesive sets.
Fermacell gypsum sheets boards are available in several different sizes from JAS Timber. Find out more details on our website.